Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Ed Mirvish and My Mom

Today Ed Mirvish died at the age of 92. If you are Canadian you know of him, if you live here in Toronto well he is a legend of well lets just say this city will never be the same because of his touch. When I first learned of his death my first call was to my mom why? Well let me tell you the story of my mom and Mr Mirvish.

Back in 1959 my mom began working for Ed's secetary of the time, as her nanny. One night mom had dinner with Mr Mirvish, and over the next few years Mr Mirvish kept a watchful eye on her, even trying to set my mom up with a date or two. It was Mr Mirvish who had just purchased out a wedding shop who supplied my moms wedding dresswhen she was getting married to my dad for $7( the same dress was worn by my sister 18 years ago). His wedding gift to them was $500( quite the sum for 1962). My mom spoke so kindly of him and said he was one who truely cared about those who were around him. She said He was a man like no other and she had wished she had followed some advice he gave back then.

Good night Ed you will be so missed in this city!

3 comments:

Mrs. Schmitty said...

What a nice tribute. He sounds like he was a wonderful man.

P.S. Thanks for dropping by my place yesterday!

willzmom said...

So glad you came by to see me, I will come back and read all of your past posts soon. Have a good day!

Darla said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog... I apologize for being so far behind but at times life is crazy... I love to scrapbook it is more of my obsession...
Nice to meet you...
Have a great weekend...

 
Copyright 2009 Simply Hollie: Ed Mirvish and My Mom Template and Design by Sweet n Simple Design
Scrapbook elements by FarrahsDesignerScraps at PolkaDotPotato - Stitches by Jasmin-Olya Designs