Saturday, May 9, 2009

Motherhood

This year is my 12 th year of celebrating Mother's Day as a mom. My very first one I was living in Carlsbad, New Mexico. I had just become step mom to 3 little ones all under 8. My 2 jedi warriors and one little princess. I was also glowing well because Miss Roo was growing inside me.

For me it was a perfect simple day. Little did I know what motherhood would come to mean in the years since then. You see I got to step parent 3 amazing kids for just short of a year when my short marriage shattered around me and I was not allowed to have contact with the my warriors or the little princess.

I was a mom who has done it all solo style since day 1. I can remember holding Roo that first night and being absolutely terrified. I am grateful one of my really great girlfriends at the time was with me, she had coached me through the whole labor and really was my godsend in those first hours as a new mom.

You see when I became a mother for the first time I was homeless. I was a mother who was struggling, my marriage had just ended and I was staying at a Home for Battered Women. Mostly it was my soul that had been battered, that and my heart.

Roo was my healing ointment. She loved unconditionally and allowed me to do the same. She was my saving grace, she became teacher, friend, child, wise one all wrapped up in one.

In the years since there have been many twists, turns, triumphs and struggles as I am sure come with the role of being mother. For me the day I was told that Roo has Asperger's was a day that sent me into a different mode. I think when you find out that you have a special child, you come to realize you have to become a different kind of mother.

In the last 5 years I have had to be mom, advocate, friend, coach, Sargent, doctor, resource finder, and the list really doesn't end. For me, my daughter became my teacher. She allowed me to see the world in a very different way and because of that I have been forever changed. She makes be a better mother and nurturer. I am forever grateful that she is mine and I get the chance to raise her.

For all the mother's out there I want to wish you a Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

franticallysimple said...

I'm sure that you are just as much of an inspiration to your children as they are to you.
Happy Mother's Day!

 
Copyright 2009 Simply Hollie: Motherhood Template and Design by Sweet n Simple Design
Scrapbook elements by FarrahsDesignerScraps at PolkaDotPotato - Stitches by Jasmin-Olya Designs